Ethan P. Greene Partner
Ethan Greene has represented pharmaceutical, medical device, and other corporations in litigating and resolving mass torts. He joined in founding RKG after a decade at a major multi-national law firm. He has negotiated individual, aggregate, and class action settlements of significant product liability mass torts with leading members of the plaintiffs’ bar. He has regularly worked on complex medical aspects of cases, including developing litigation and resolution strategies; identifying, retaining, and working with consulting and testifying medical experts; and deposing treating physicians and doctors serving as expert witnesses. Mr. Greene also counsels clients on compliance with the Medicare Secondary Payer Act, and has developed lien resolution processes to protect clients while efficiently resolving liens in large scale settlements. Super Lawyers named him a Rising Star in Washington, D.C. in 2014 and 2015 in the Class Action/Mass Torts field.
Mr. Greene’s notable matters include:
- Serving as National Settlement Counsel for Endo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and American Medical Systems, Inc., with RKG founding partners Ellen Reisman and Andrew Karron, in connection with litigation involving AMS Pelvic Repair System Products. [2013 – present]
- Appointment in March 2015, by the U.S. District Judge Joseph Goodwin (S.D. W.Va.) as Special Master to facilitate settlement between Neomedic and plaintiffs’ counsel in pelvic mesh litigation [Mar. 2015 – present] MDL 2511.
- Served as one of the lead negotiators of the Deepwater Horizon Medical Benefits Class Action Settlement, which was approved in January 2013 by the U .S. District Court (E.D. La.) and as to which all appeals were dismissed by the Fifth Circuit in February 2014.
- Counseled major pharmaceutical manufacturers on assessing and managing litigation risk from product liability claims prior to the initiation of litigation. [2011 – 2015]
- Represented Wyeth (formerly American Home Products Corporation) in the diet drug (“fen phen”) litigation. Mr. Greene defended Wyeth and coordinated expert discovery in individual lawsuits. In addition, he was one of the lead negotiators for Wyeth in the Diet Drug “Global Settlement Process,” resolving over 60,000 opt-out cases. [2004-2010]
- Ellen K. Reisman and Ethan P. Greene, “Ethical Issues in Class Action Settlements”, DRI Class Action Seminar, July 2011
- Ellen K. Reisman and Ethan P. Greene, “Ethical Limitations on Attempting to Prevent or Restrict an Attorney from Bringing Future Claims as part of a Settlement Agreement”, DRI Drug and Medical Device Conference, April 2008
Education and Prior Experience
B.A. 1999, University of California, Los Angeles, magna cum laude; J.D. 2004, University of Virginia School of Law
Associate, Arnold & Porter LLP, 2004-2015
Mr. Greene is admitted to the bars of California and Washington, D.C.