Special Master and Mediator in Mass Torts
- Ms. Reisman was appointed by U.S. District Judge John W. Lungstrum (D. Kan.), U.S. District Judge David R. Herndon (S.D. Ill.), Judge Thomas M. Sipkins (District Court for Hennepin County, Fourth Judicial District, State of Minnesota), and Judge Brad K. Bleyer (Illinois First Judicial Circuit Court) to facilitate settlement negotiations of class action and individual claims in two federal courts and several state courts by thousands of corn farmers and other plaintiffs alleging economic loss arising from Syngenta’s sales of corn seed containing genetically modified traits approved in the United States, but not in China. Her efforts resulted in a global nationwide $1.51 billion class action settlement of claims asserted by farmers, grain handling facilities, and ethanol producers, which resolved the claims pending in the Kansas and Illinois federal courts and in the Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa, and Ohio state courts. Ms. Reisman was also appointed by Judge Lungstrum to allocate common benefit attorneys’ fees and expenses in connection with the class action settlement. Her Reports and Recommendations as to fees and expenses were substantially adopted by the federal court supervising the settlement. She continues to serve as Special Master in connection with all aspects of the implementation of the settlement, including appeals of claim determinations in that settlement.
- Special Master for Settlement in In re C.R. Bard Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, No. 2:10-md-2187 (S.D. W. Va.), appointed by Judge Joseph R. Goodwin.
- Common Benefit Special Master, in In re Abilify (Aripiprazole) Products Liability Litigation, No 3:16-md-2734 (N.D. Fla.), appointed by Judge M. Casey Rogers.
- Special Master for Settlement, in In re 3M Combat Arms Earplug Products Liability Litigation, No 3:19-md-2885 (N.D. Fla.), appointed by Judge M. Casey Rogers.
- Special Master, in In re: Proton-Pump Inhibitor Products Liability Litigation, No. 2:17-md-2789 (D.N.J.), appointed by Judge Claire C. Cecchi.
- Special Master for Settlement, in In re: Ethicon Physiomesh Flexible Composite Hernia Mesh Products Liability Litigation, No. 1:17-md-2782(N.D.Ga.), appointed by Judge Richard W. Story.
- Special Master, in In re: Atrium Medical Corp. C-Qur Mesh Products Liability Litigation, No. 1:16-md-2753 (D.N.H), appointed by Chief Judge Landya B. McCafferty.
National Mass Tort Settlement Counsel
- National Settlement Counsel for Endo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and American Medical Systems, Inc. and successors in connection with litigation involving AMS Pelvic Repair System Products, resulting in the settlement to date of over 70,000 claims;
- Representing BP in negotiating the Deepwater Horizon Medical Benefits Class Action Settlement;
- Representing Scientific Protein Laboratories and American Capital Ltd. in product liability litigation and regulatory matters involving contaminated heparin from China;
- Representing Wyeth (formerly American Home Products Corporation) in the diet drug (“fen phen”) litigation – she served as national counsel coordinating the defense of tens of thousands of lawsuits, and as lead negotiator of the National Diet Drug Class Action Settlement (Brown v. American Home Products, No. 99-20593, E.D. Pa.) and architect and lead negotiator in the Diet Drug “Global Settlement Process,” resolving over 60,000 opt-out cases; and
- Representing Pfizer Inc. and Shiley Incorporated in product liability and other matters involving the Bjork-Shiley Convexo-Concave Heart Valve, including a class action settlement, a settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice, and U. S. and international regulatory issues.